FAQ - Parent Partnerships

Frequently Asked Questions About Parent Partnerships

What is a Parent Partnership?
Parent Partnerships are programs in the public school system that are designed to support families who have chosen to educate their children in a homeschooling model. They offer support, guidance and accountability to parents who are their children’s primary educators. This model requires a high amount of parent involvement.

How are Parent Partnerships governed?
Parent Partnerships are governed under Washington State’s Alternative Learning Experience rules (ALE). They are considered to be an alternative model of education just as alternative high schools and virtual academies are alternative. They differ from the traditional delivery model of education in that most of the education takes place away from the brick and mortar school building and classroom.

Are all Parent Partnerships the same?
No. There is a wide variety of types of Parent Partnership Programs. All programs are governed by the same state rules but vary greatly in how they are administered. Each program has its own unique culture.

What are the rules that govern an ALE (alternative learning experience)?
There are three main rules that all ALE programs must follow. They are:
  1. Each student must have a learning plan for the year.
  2. There must be a monthly progress report approved by a certificated staff member for each student.
  3. Each student must make weekly contact with a certificated staff member in the program.

What is a WSLP?
WSLP stands for Written Student Learning Plan. This is the plan that is written at the beginning of the school year that explains what a student will be studying that year. Having a WSLP for each student is an ALE requirement.

Are Home Link students public school students?
Yes, all students enrolled full-time in the Deer Park Home Link program are counted as public school students.

Can a student receive a diploma from Home Link?
Yes, students may receive a diploma if they have documentation of sufficient credits, meet standards on the WASL (or approved alternatives) and do a senior project.

How is Home Link funded?
The Deer Park School District receives full allocation from the state for the students in Home Link. This money goes to fund the program and provide its many services to its families.

Can a student be enrolled part-time at Home Link?
Yes, students may be part-time enrolled for a variety of reasons. Some students access Running Start, the Skills Center or a few classes at the High School and are part-time Home Link students. Others choose to be part-time students and maintain their homeschooling status.

What services does Home Link provide?
Home Link offers consulting services, enrichment and academic classes, field trips, circulation libraries, a curriculum library, computer labs and field trips. It has become a wonderful community where families and students interact and are a supportive network for those choosing this model of education that supports the spirit of homeschooling.

What types of classes are offered at Home Link?
Home Link offers a large variety of enrichment and academic classes for grades K – 12. These change each year based on demand. There are classes in art, dance, drama, physical education, history, science, reading, writing and math. Check the Home Link web site for the current offerings (homelink.dpsd.org).

How did Home Link start?
Home Link was started in the fall of 2000 at the request of homeschooling parents in the Deer Park district. We began with 20 families and 38 students operating out of a small rented facility. The program was a consulting model with no class offerings. Over the years, we have expanded and adapted to needs of our families so that we now serve over 500 students. Our two sites allow us to offer a large variety of classes.